Various Factors for the Use of Scaffolding
When we consider safety hazards in construction site the first thing that comes to our mind is scaffolding. When proper and necessary scaffolding is not used that can end up in death or serious injuries. Even when all the safety measures are taken some mistakes are bound to happen. So, it is very important for workers and employers to understand all the necessary safety measures. With this they can take necessary precautions. Claims and incidents at construction site can be reduced with all these measures taken properly in advance by scaffolding Manchester.
Types of Scaffolding:
There are some common types of scaffolding which are used in the construction site. They are
- Aerial lifts
- Rolling scaffolding
- Suspend scaffolding
- Supported scaffolding
Supported scaffolding is the commonly found scaffolding Manchester service. This may come with many sections and levels. This scaffolding service can be used at a time by several workers in the construction site. When it comes to reaching a tall construction roof or even tall building, it is better to go for suspended scaffolding. This will help in reaching and positioning different floors of the building. Rolling scaffolding comes with wheels. Wheels are located at the bottom. This scaffolding is best when mobility is of high preference. If it is necessary to avoid the movement then the wheels in rolling scaffolding can be locked. Aerial lifts are the scaffolding services which are treated as moving vehicle. It is possible to elevate in the air by using this scaffolding service.
Standards in scaffolding:
- Fall protection is the main thing for which scaffolding services are used for. Workers working at heights must use fall arrest, wear harness and guardrails. This will help them to give protection against fall.
- When it comes to flooring or plexpatform of the scaffolding, it should be decked and planked.
- Scaffolds and its components are meant to support minimum of four times the maximum load intended. Especially when it comes to suspension scaffolds they are expected to wear 6 times of the intended load.
- Staff or the employee must be well trained. They must know the procedures to handle and control the hazards.
- When we consider a specific scaffold, hazards must be taken into consideration when doing risk assessment. Seriousness of the risk must be assessed properly after considering the facts like overhead power lines and poor ground conditions.
- There must be a staff or competent person in the site who can check for the faults and defects after each occurrence. This type of checking must happen after every workers shift. Every scaffold and its components must undergo this type of checking. \
- Every contractor should be satisfied and comfortable with each scaffold. They should know it is stable and all safeguards are in place properly. If a scaffold has not been inspected within the last 7 days it is considered unsafe to work on. A contractor also has the right to refuse to work on a scaffold if there are no recordings of the risk assessment for him/her to read.